The way our pets behave can be heavily influenced by their environment, with their emotions impacted by surrounding factors.
For example, feelings of stress or anxiety may arise when your pet has an interaction with another animal or human they don’t know or trust. Similarly, if they are exposed to a new or overwhelming environment.
Every pet reacts differently to various situations, so it can sometimes be hard to know how to settle them. Products that contain synthetic pheromones – such as Feliway and Adaptil – can help.
What is a pheromone?
Pheromones are a chemical substance that is naturally secreted by animals (mainly mammals and insects) and used as a form of communication between members of the same species. For example, when a female dog is lactating, she releases a pheromone that reassures her pups when she is close by. Cats operate in a similar way, however, more commonly use their pheromones to mark territory.
So what’s the point of synthetic pheromones?
After discovering how much of an impact pheromones have on an animal’s well-being, a company called CEVA Animal Health decided to create a synthetic version, that would produce the same result. They came up with two different varieties – one for dogs and one for cats.
Feliway – your cat’s favourite spray!
Feliway is the cat-friendly product. It comes in either a diffuser bottle that plugs into a wall or a handheld spray bottle. The diffuser bottle is typically used for warming a cat up to a new environment or house, whereas the spray bottle can be helpful in the presence of other animals.
- Helps calm your cat in stressful situations.
- Eliminates aggressive or disturbing behaviour such as hissing or attacking.
- Stops naughty behaviour such as scratching, urinating inside the house, etc.
- Helps your cat feel relaxed, at ease and happy!
Adaptil – helping your dog adapt!
Adaptil is the dog version and comes in either a spray bottle (similar to Feliway) or as a collar. The collar provides an on-the-go calmative for dogs who are prone to negative reactions while out walking (or outside the house in general).
- Helps your dog handle stressful situations such as being separated from you, being transported in the car, or being left home alone during the daytime.
- Helps calm aggressive behaviour such as snapping at other dogs or animals.
- Provides a solution to specific fears i.e. fireworks or loud noises.
- Can be used to train dogs to walk on a lead.
While these products can be slightly costly, they are very much worth the investment to keep your pet as happy and stress-free as they can be! At Samford Pet Resort, we use both Feliway in our cat rooms, and Adaptil in our dog accommodation to ensure that your pet has the most relaxing stay possible.
Are you looking to book your pet in for a vacation? Give us a call today.